Quequechan Quilter 10 July 2026

Hello everyone,

I did start to work on one of my quilt tops, but found I needed some extra fabric for the backing that I didn't have. I've ordered it, but the company took 10 days to fill the order so I'm still waiting for the fabric to arrive.  Therefore, I decided to start a new project that would be reasonably quick to do.  

When I originally designed my Square Cake Pattern, the fabric I used for the mock-up was Summer Breeze.  That fabric was released in 2022.  At that time, I purchased two layers cakes and some yardage.  So, I decided I would finally make that pattern in the fabric I first designed it in.  I cut one of the layer cakes and started sewing.  I currently have twelve blocks completed.  This time I chose to cut the fabrics by color group within the layer cake.  I then placed them by my machine and have been chosing the fabrics for the blocks as I go along.  So far, it's working out pretty well.  We'll see if I end up with some less appealing combinations toward the end of the process.

Here are some photos of the work in progress:














The First 12 Blocks 

I'm certain I'm not the only person who hates the pinked edges on precuts.  With a jelly roll it's fairly easy to brush the edges with a lint roller of some type to get rid of alot of the fuzzy lint.  With a layer cake, it requires moving two edges off the cardboard backer and brushing them individually then repeating the process for the remaining two sides.  It takes a little time but does reduce the fuzzy lint.  I also like to trim the squares with a ten inch ruler before I cut them to the sizes I want them to be for the project.  It doesn't usually remove much, but also helps to reduce some of the fuzzy lint.

As I usually cut multiple layers, it also helps to use a weight to keep the fabric in place while cuttin. It improves the cut's accuracy and makes it easier to have the blocks finish at the correct size.

Anyway, I'm waiting for my fabric to arrive and will continue with sewing more blocks for my newest Square Cake quilt top. I've provided this pattern for free on the blog.  You can find it in the legend on the left-hand-side.

Have fun quilting!

Virgnia

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quequechan Quilter - 30 August 2025

Quequechan Quilter - 13 September 2025

Quequechan Quilter - 4 April 2026