Quequechan Quilter - 20 January 2026

 Hello everyone.

I haven't posted since September when my husband had his spinal surgery and the nursing home he ended up in nearly killed him.  That is not an exageration.  They over dosed his insulin and he spent a week in ICU.  He then spent three months in rehab getting nowhere with his recovery.  His insurer didn't want to pay for his care in-house any more so he came home November 14th, but ended up back in the hospital that night. 

Gerry in Rehab

This was three days before my scheduled right knee replacement surgery on November 17th.  Because of my surgery, the doctors wanted him back in rehab for 10-14 days, so off he went again.  They didn't do much for him, though they did call me three times a day every day he was there wanting me to pay them for his stay there even though the insurer was covering the cost in full.  Amazing how they don't know what's going on and won't listen when they're told.

Anyway, the gist of it is that I haven't had time for much of anything other than my recovery (which has gone much better than my left knee replacement two years ago), his recovery (he's been home since December 4th), household chores, errands, and paying bills.  I've managed to do some knitting and crocheting as they're much easier to put down if I'm needed elsewhere.  If I'm in the middle of piecing something, it's much harder to walk away from it quickly. 

My husband's recover is very slow.  He still has difficulty standing and walking and can't manage stairs at all.  As the only way in and out of our townhouse means using stairs, he can't get out of the house or back in to it unless he's carried out and in.  All his doctor's need to see him, so I've finally had to bite the bullet and purchased an evacuation track chair to get him in and out the front door.  It arrives tomorrow.  (Click the link if you want to see what this actually is.)

Jelly Roll Race Quilt Top

I did start a jelly roll race quilt top back in September.  I haven't gotten very far since then.  I've only added two rows to it in the past few weeks.  I did complete a knitted scarf I was working on and I've started a candy corn chevron afghan.  These are things I usually do in front of the TV as I have troubled sitting around doing nothing.  I need to keep my hands busy all the time.

I'm not sure when I'll post again.  My husband needs a lot of assistance with everyday things.  We're hoping it will improve.  He is definitley doing better than when he was in rehab as he's getting more daily therapy between myself, my sister (who is a retired RN), and the PT and OT people the nursing agency is able to provide us for now.  I'm not sure how long the insurance will continue to approve their care for him, but it is helpful to have.

I hope you're all well and had a safe and wondrous holiday season.  Ours was rather quiet but nice.

2025 Mantel Display
Stay well and happy sewing everyone,

Virginia


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quequechan Quilter - 30 August 2025

Quequechan Quilter - 13 September 2025

Quequechan Quilter - 4 April 2026