Quequechan Quilter - 2 November 2024 - Fabric Bleed

I received a question from a lovely lady who wanted to know if I had pre-washed the fabrics I used for the Poinsettias on Point quilt in American and Patchwork's Winter 2024 issue.

Fabric Bleed Testing

I actually couldn't remember if I pre-washed my fabrics. (Lunn Studios for Robert Kaufman's Joyful Holidays was the line of batik fabrics I used for the quilt.)  So, I found some of the scraps from the project and soaked them in what was initially very warm water for over an hour and they didn't bleed.  Way back when, I always pre-washed my fabrics.  I've found over the years, that most fabrics made now don't bleed or run the way they used to.  If you are concerned about it, you can always add a color catcher to your wash load to circumvent any bleed that may occur.

When I made the quilt for the magazine, I received more fabric than I actually needed to make the project, so I made a second, smaller quilt top, that one I'll be custom quilting myself.  The magazine editors didn't want me to quilt the one for the magazine even though I've been sewing and quilting for several decades.  I get it.  I'm an unknown factor and they didn't want to take the chance.  So I asked Michelle Medeiros, owner of Homestead Quilting and Fabrics if she would have the time to longarm it for me and she said yes.  She fit the work into her schedule so I could ship it out in time for the magazine photo shoot and the quilt looks great.  Everyone has been very pleased with it.

I'm hoping to do the custom work on my smaller version in time for this year's holiday season.  I need to finish gifts I'm making first though.

Poinsettia on Point Small Version

It's been another week where the other pulls on my time have interfered with my quilting.  I haven't yet sandwiched the Home on the Range quilt top.  Every day I planned on working in my sewing room, something else came up and I never got to it.  I have managed to select the batting but I still need to get it sandwiched for quilting on my Janome M8.  I'm still not sure if I'll do some free-motion quilting on it or do something with a walking foot.  The past couple of years I haven't been to enthused with free-motion for some reason.  I'm finding the walking foot more challenging these days.  Coming up with a quilting pattern that works for using the walking foot and looks good on the quilt has just been more interesting to me recently, but maybe it's time to get back to FMQ.

I hope everyone enjoyed Halloween.  We've never had trick-or-treaters visit our condo association before, so we were surprised that a couple of folks rang our bell Halloween night.  We didn't have any thing to hand out as we've been here for ten years and never had anyone show up before.  I hope they weren't too disappointed.

As always, you may leave comments or questions below or send them to me at:  quequechan.quilter@gmail.com 

Have a great week and keep on quilting.

Virginia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quequechan Quilter - 30 August 2025

Quequechan Quilter - 13 September 2025

Quequechan Quilter - 4 April 2026